Lombardi kicks off Cleveland Playhouse's fall season with a bang
Graham Beck is a Journalism and Promotional Communication major at Cleveland State University.
"Lombardi," the first play of the 98th season of the Cleveland Playhouse, is a play that examines one week in the life of legendary football coach Vince Lombardi through the eyes of a reporter (Nick Mills) observing him for a new article.
The week in focus is not the one leading up to the first ever Super Bowl, which Lombardi and the Packers eventually won, nor is it the last week of his life. It is just one ordinary week, and as the play progresses we find it to be one the most important for Lombardi.
Actor Bob Ari is a wonderful depiction as the late coach as he embodies the "Imperfect...Perfectness" of Lombardi. Ari and Mills are truly the cornerstones of the story and both turn in fantastic performances.
The set features a backdrop of a football field, and with the help of a projector has the ability to become any number of locations in Green Bay, all while subtly reminding you of what's always on Lombardi's mind - football.
On the negative side, the script has a tendency to just have characters address the audiences for long blocks of exposition instead of using dialogue to explain what's happening, which leads to some tedious moments.
All in all this show scores, and is a great way to "kick off" the new season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections