Lombardi kicks off Cleveland Playhouse's fall season with a bang
Graham Beck is a Journalism and Promotional Communication major at Cleveland State University.
"Lombardi," the first play of the 98th season of the Cleveland Playhouse, is a play that examines one week in the life of legendary football coach Vince Lombardi through the eyes of a reporter (Nick Mills) observing him for a new article.
The week in focus is not the one leading up to the first ever Super Bowl, which Lombardi and the Packers eventually won, nor is it the last week of his life. It is just one ordinary week, and as the play progresses we find it to be one the most important for Lombardi.
Actor Bob Ari is a wonderful depiction as the late coach as he embodies the "Imperfect...Perfectness" of Lombardi. Ari and Mills are truly the cornerstones of the story and both turn in fantastic performances.
The set features a backdrop of a football field, and with the help of a projector has the ability to become any number of locations in Green Bay, all while subtly reminding you of what's always on Lombardi's mind - football.
On the negative side, the script has a tendency to just have characters address the audiences for long blocks of exposition instead of using dialogue to explain what's happening, which leads to some tedious moments.
All in all this show scores, and is a great way to "kick off" the new season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership