Album Review: Green Day
Gary Waters' Vikings have gained national attention. AP Photo/David Richard
"Uno!," Green Day's ninth studio album and the first of a trilogy of full-length releases, sees them steering away from overly preachy politics and toward sounding like many of the terrible bands they inspired.
Aside from the passable single "Oh Love," which at its best moments comes across as a Pogues inspired singalong, this is third-rate corporate power-pop that makes pop culture afterthoughts like Fountains of Wayne sound like The Cars. The worst crime of all is another single "Kill the DJ," which is influenced by dance music. This isn't "Radio Clash," but nice try.
At one point in time, Green Day was a good pop-punk band that emerged from Lookout Records and a stacked Berkley scene in time to be one of the few passable bands to benefit from Nirvana's success. After the turn of the century, anthems about youthful angst and lust gave way to the type of political posturing that is easier to swallow when it is not coming from rockstar millionaires. Now that they are neither punk nor political, it is hard to tell if anything separates the once mighty Green Day from copycats that have always lacked lyrical and musical merit, like Good Charlotte.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR