Album Review: Green Day
Gary Waters' Vikings have gained national attention. AP Photo/David Richard
"Uno!," Green Day's ninth studio album and the first of a trilogy of full-length releases, sees them steering away from overly preachy politics and toward sounding like many of the terrible bands they inspired.
Aside from the passable single "Oh Love," which at its best moments comes across as a Pogues inspired singalong, this is third-rate corporate power-pop that makes pop culture afterthoughts like Fountains of Wayne sound like The Cars. The worst crime of all is another single "Kill the DJ," which is influenced by dance music. This isn't "Radio Clash," but nice try.
At one point in time, Green Day was a good pop-punk band that emerged from Lookout Records and a stacked Berkley scene in time to be one of the few passable bands to benefit from Nirvana's success. After the turn of the century, anthems about youthful angst and lust gave way to the type of political posturing that is easier to swallow when it is not coming from rockstar millionaires. Now that they are neither punk nor political, it is hard to tell if anything separates the once mighty Green Day from copycats that have always lacked lyrical and musical merit, like Good Charlotte.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections