Album Review: Green Day
Gary Waters' Vikings have gained national attention. AP Photo/David Richard
"Uno!," Green Day's ninth studio album and the first of a trilogy of full-length releases, sees them steering away from overly preachy politics and toward sounding like many of the terrible bands they inspired.
Aside from the passable single "Oh Love," which at its best moments comes across as a Pogues inspired singalong, this is third-rate corporate power-pop that makes pop culture afterthoughts like Fountains of Wayne sound like The Cars. The worst crime of all is another single "Kill the DJ," which is influenced by dance music. This isn't "Radio Clash," but nice try.
At one point in time, Green Day was a good pop-punk band that emerged from Lookout Records and a stacked Berkley scene in time to be one of the few passable bands to benefit from Nirvana's success. After the turn of the century, anthems about youthful angst and lust gave way to the type of political posturing that is easier to swallow when it is not coming from rockstar millionaires. Now that they are neither punk nor political, it is hard to tell if anything separates the once mighty Green Day from copycats that have always lacked lyrical and musical merit, like Good Charlotte.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG