Tony Award-winning 'Priscilla' boogies down to Playhouse
The plot of "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" follows a group of drag queens venturing through the desert on a fabulous adventure. Along the way they make friends and dance their way to their destination. The trio of friends includes Tick (Mitzi), Adam (Felicia) and an aging transexual Bernadette.
"Priscilla" won a 2011 Tony Award for costume design, and the show lives up to its reputation. One of the best parts of this show are the crazy and over-the-top costumes - more than 500 glamorous costumes are in the show.
The music selection consists of mostly disco tunes. Featuring songs like "It's Raining Men," "I Will Survive" and "Hot Stuff," the show boogies through various disco era classics.
Dance numbers in this show are very well done, especially considering the costumes are sometimes large and untraditional. The ensemble does an excellent job supporting the main cast and is very impressive with their incredible dancing abilities.
There were three women called the "divas" that were lowered on harnesses to float over the stage. The divas' singing was high quality, and the drag queens would lip sync to parts of the songs. One portion of the show brings some audience members on stage to dance with the cast.
"Pricilla Queen of the Desert" is running at Playhouse Square's State Theatre until Sunday, Jan. 27.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?