Feist releases third album: Metals
Amanda Perusek fixes a toy for RePlay for Kinds. Photo by Kristen Mott
On her third full-length album, Feist has moved farther from her early mix of jazz and bossa nova-inspired indie rock. "Metals" sounds more like Fleet Foxes, Neko Case, or Iron & Wine than Amy Winehouse.
In fact, it's pretty easy to picture Iron & Wine's Samuel Beam taking over Feist's part on the acoustic "Cicadas And Gulls."
Other standouts include "The Bad in Each Other," "Graveyard" and "Anti-Pioneer."
The closest track to Feist's previous sound, with its slight R&B feel, is the brilliant single "How Come You Never Go There."
Not that this new direction detracts. The album is delicate and expertly-crafted.
Much of it sounds like the soundtrack to closing time at a small bar on a slow night: intimate, introspective and full of night thoughts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership