Super Bowl becomes pop culture craze
Performers, commercials more important than game?
The Student Center atrium will be transformed into Stress Free Zones Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 13 and 14. The zones will allow students who are stressed out from studying for finals to take a break to relax, recollect and renew themselves before heading back to exams. Campus Activities Board is hosting the Stress Free Zones. In addition to providing a place to chill, play, sleep or just do you, CAB will have coffee stations set up in each college. Photo by Dan Stanton
From my understanding, the Super Bowl is a time where people gather around their TV with family and friends to watch a good ol' game of football, commercials and the halftime show.
But really, is all of this hype for the Super Bowl really necessary? Do people really need to freak out about who is performing, what the performer is wearing and silly commercials that wouldn't be that great if they weren't aired during the Super Bowl?
I'm always so amazed at how Americans get so hyped up for the Super Bowl, and it's nonsense. See, in England, their Super Bowl is the Champions League finale. But unlike the Americans, the British get hyped up for the actual game, not the folly of who's performing and what commercials are being played.
Speaking of folly - yes, we all know Beyonce performed, but people took it too far by making bets on what she was going to wear and what color her outfit was going to be. I'm sorry, since when did the Super Bowl become a betting fest for a performer who might lip sync her entire performance like she did at the president's inauguration?
There are articles everywhere betting on how long it would take Alicia Keys to sing the national anthem. Has society gone mad? Why does it matter how long it takes her to sing it? Apparently, people were curious to see if she could sing the national anthem quicker than Kelly Clarkson did a year ago. They even calculated how long it'll take her - two minutes and five seconds. Unbelievable.
Here's a list of things people have placed bets on: What are the chances of Beyonce having her hair straight? Will Beyonce wear her hair up or down? People online have calculated percentages! Here's another one: will Jay-Z perform with Beyonce? The answer is 47 percent of people think so.
I have to ask myself this question that occurs to me every time I think of pop culture getting involved with a "manly" sport like football. Has the media included this outlet for the women watching with their boyfriends or husbands as a chance to get a say during the game? I mean, if the girl doesn't understand football, does the halftime show and silly commercials give a chance for the ditzy girls to talk? The men already don't want anyone talking about anything if it isn't about the game or the show itself. Am I being irrational or insensitive toward those women? No, I'm not because I am that girl that doesn't understand American football and the debacle of the sport. I am that girl who asks, "What just happened?" when something big happened. Who gives a crap about it?
I remember coming to school one day and everyone was talking about the wardrobe malfunction Janet Jackson had when her and Justin Timberlake performed during the halftime show a couple of years back. No one in mainstream media seemed to care about the actual game, but rather put all the attention on the mishap. This is what the Super Bowl has come to, and many people seem to be in denial about it. Give it up guys - no one cares who's playing who. Who is it anyway this year? San Francisco and the Browns? I'm not entirely sure.
Get your head out of the gutter, America. This whole concept of who's singing what, when and how is not what football is about.
Rashida Mustafa is Opinion editor of The Cauldron and a junior English major at CSU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections