Racist remarks uncalled for
Arkansas state GOP legislator sticks with his vile remarks
Though characters now have names, color is still thematic.
Arkansas Republican State Legislator Jon Hubbard is receiving a considerable amount of backlash from his party for a slew of racially charged comments he recently made.
Hubbard shamelessly admits to still supporting the claims he made in his self-published book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," which stated the "institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would some day be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."
To add to his ridiculousness, he also states in his well-founded "book" that the African slave had a better life under slavery than they otherwise would have had in Africa, that the integration of schools is harmful to white students and lastly, that blacks are not contributing to society.
Where do I even begin? Let me first give credit to the sensible Republicans of Arkansas and the state's Republican Party who announced that they will no longer be providing assistance to Hubbard. Thank you very much for distancing yourselves from this moron who clearly is not in touch with reality. No, I take that back. He is in touch with reality, just with the one of the year 1890, not 2012.
Second, I want to know how this guy got into office in the first place. He's nearing the end of his first and hopefully last term, and one thing I will definitely be looking for come Nov. 6 is whether this fool is reelected. At his age, these ideologies didn't just come to him during his first two years in office. So c'mon Arkansans, get it together this time around!
I have to speak to Hubbard personally now. Mr. Hubbard, if you even deserve to be addressed so respectfully, I have to just say, wow. You're a piece of work. First, I want you to be informed that I am a black female student who has a 3.53 grade point average. Yes, it is possible that intelligent African Americans exist. You'll search far and wide to find us because there can't be any more than four or five in the entire United States, but we're here.
In response to the stupidity about blacks not contributing to society, I assume you've never heard of Garrett Morgan - inventor of not only the gas mask but the traffic signal. Or George Washington Carver who discovered more than 60 uses for peanuts. And that's only two people.
I could keep going, but I'll just say that Hubbard, you're asinine. For the estimated 8 million black people who didn't even make it to the states, it's safe to say that slavery was, in fact, an abomination.
Shannon Sharkey is a junior double majoring in Theatre and Journalism and Promotional Communications at CSU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Cauldron Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER NEWS
RECENT THE CAULDRON NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR